re helmets

To: "AutoX" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re helmets
From: "Dan Morency" <DMorency@gwi.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:50:39 -0500

Take them out of the helmet. Most have a solid backing that friction fits
between theother padded and usually foam backed, areas of the interior of
the helmet. Place them backing down on a table. If you press down with your
fingers you can see that 90% or more of the thickness is padding. Youcan
gather the fabric with your fingers and reduce the thickness by at least
50%. I stiched it by hand with matching thread. when done the pads are about
1/2 as high from the table surface.

This makes the helmet looser in the cheek area and just below the ears, it
makes iteaier to insert my glasses and sucwssfully catch my ears with the
bent section of the glasses' bows.

If this isn't clear enough I may be able to dig up another set from an
unmodified helmet for before and after pictures. This is the only area where
the interior of the helmet can be modified using this method, the rest is
that stiff, bead type styrofoam behind the fabric interior.

Dan Morency