RE: [evolution-disc.] Houston Results are up!

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Houston Results are up!
From: Andy Hollis <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 22:21:05 -0500
Here's some story...

First off, the weather.  Or shall I say the massive threat of bad weather
that never materialized until it finally started raining during the trophy
presentations!!  Ran into a bad line of sever t-storms on the tow home,
though.

Courses were very big and not all that different between the two days.
Saturday's course has a nice mix of big sweeeprs with tricky entrances and
exits, a wacky slalom where each cone was offset one way or the other as if
the designer was drunk, and another slalom/tube affair.  So, typical Roger
Johnson "Home of the Criminally Insane" fare. :-)  Sunday's course was
similar, but the tighter stuff was removed and the sweepers became less
tricky.  Overall, more of a braking and acceleration contest way up in
second gear.

Fabulous Friday night party with fresh coojked fajitas and beverages.
Saturday night party at the dog track was also lots of fun.  Very nice
Italian cuisine, followed by a whole pile of nice door prizes, and then
those wacky dogs!  James Rogerson and all of the event chiefs deserve major
kudos for a killer event.

Our own GH Sharp had a stand-out performance in BS driving Steven Volpp's
S2000.  His Sunday run was blazing!!  John Ames was spectacular in SS,
displaying his trademark silky smooth, precise, and super-quick style.  If
you think you know how to run a tight line, watch Mr. Ames and see how much
tighter you can go!  And check out the performance of the new Mini in HS
versus the reining national champ.  Interesting....

Me?  Well, the Miata is finally running in CSP trim!  Well, sorta...  ;-)
Those who were there can attest to the awful sounds coming out of the engine
compartment.  But when it ran, it was wicked fast!  I've been thrashing in
the garage for the last two weeks straight trying to get ready for this
event and barely made it.  I was still fabricating parts the morning of the
first day (torque suppression device made from anchor bolts, angle iron and
a threaded coupler!).  Gotta love Home Depot!  The engine came to life for
the first time on Tuesday and I did enough tuning to get it to idle.  But
clutch troubles required me to R&R the whole thing again on Wednesday and
stuff the stock clutch back in.  Absolutely zero time was spent making the
car run under load so I had to play with that all weekend.

Then, the throttle cable broke at the practice on Friday, so we only got a
couple of runs in.  I go to spend Friday night fixing that.  Many thanks to
Peter Fehn of Texas Region for help with parts fetching and tools, and also
to Gary Alexander of Texas Spokes for ingenuity and the die grinder!
Throttle was better on Saturday but was still sticking open randomly coming
into turns.  Talk about your trailing throttle oversteer!  Fixed that one
Sunday morning with a bigger throttle return spring (Thanks, Andy
Frantzen!!)

Lots more teething issues, but the car didn't blow up.  So I'm happy.  Also
happy to have my better half out for real again.  She's barely lost anything
after all those years away from the sport.

Other stories?

--Andy