Weight VS. Weight Distribution

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weight VS. Weight Distribution
From: "Shawn Kuenzler" <sck967s@smsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:31:20 -0500
The car in question is a VW Corrado SLC running in STR.  FWD, about
2700lbs., 60/40 weight distribution, 18 gallon tank.  My question is how
much gas to have at an event, as well as whether or not to ditch the spare
and jack.  Obviously, weight is the enemy.  But with understeer being a
problem, will the weight reduction in the rear be worth it since the
tradeoff is more distribution to the front?  I've tried running with a half
tank and spare and jack, and tried as little as an 1/8 tank with no spare
and jack.  I can feel a definite difference in acceleration and steering
response but can't really tell the overall effects.  Any suggestions
welcome.

Thanks,
Shawn