In-car video

To: ".W2W" <wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com>,
Subject: In-car video
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:56:57 -0500
Do you carry a video camera in your car?

I'm working on a story for  SportsCar Magazine about videotaping as a tool
for racers/autocrossers/rallyists.

I am looking for responses from those who regularly videotape from their car
in competition - not just because it's neat to have the video for giggles
and grins, but those who really *use* the video to analyze how they do and
how they could do it better. Or for other purposeful reasons - from
defending a protest to providing feed for sponsors.

So, if you regularly tape your races/runs and would not mind helping out
here, please respond to the following sometime within the next week:

1. WHO YOU ARE/WHAT YOU DO: Tell me your name, region. Do you race (home
track?)? Autocross? Rally? Make, model and class of car.

2. EQUIPMENT: What kind of camera do you use (brand/model)? Full-size or
mini-cassette? What kind of camera works best? What camera features are
important to this purpose? Do you have any mounting tips (what are rulebook
considerations)? Is your camera dedicated to this use or did you choose one
that also works for shooting family video, etc.?

3. TAPING: How do you tape your events? What is your focus (long/short, zoom
in/out, where do you point your camera, what settings do you use and why)?
Racers, do you tape practice/qualifying or just the race? Also, do you just
do in-car or do you also have friends/crew taping you?

4. USING THE VIDEO: Why do you tape your races/runs? How do you use your
tapes? Is it part of your post-race routine to re-run the event and analyze
it? What do you look for in your tapes? Can you give an example of how it
has helped you improve? Does anyone use in-car video to help in a teaching
situation?

5. ENHANCING THE VIDEO: Do you just screen the video or do you make use of
computer tools to assist you? What tools? How do you use them?

6. WHAT I DIDN'T ASK: Since you who do this know more about the subject than
I, feel free to add any pertinent points or information not covered in the
questions above.

Thanks for your help.

--Rocky Entriken