WAY OT -- Need Help with Diagnosis

To: phax@egroups.com
Subject: WAY OT -- Need Help with Diagnosis
From: Pete Holsberg <pjh@mccc.edu>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 13:33:27 -0400 (EDT)
I know that some of you know more about cars than Henry
Ford, and I'm hoping you have suggestions.

Last night, we went to New Brunswick to meet friends for
dinner, driving my wife's 95 Camry. I parked in a "Pre-Pay"
lot that I later found out was unattended. We were about
5-10 minutes past the time I had paid for when we left.

I backed out of the parking space and as soon as we started
forward, there was an awful screech from the front end. We
later determined that it made the same noise when the car
moved forward, even when the engine and ignition were
turned off.

We got it towed home, and when I drove it a few feet into
the garage, the screech was very faint.

I found that I could cause the sound by bouncing on the
fender. And the sound continued for 3-4 seconds -- faintly
-- after the bouncing stopped!

The front axle boots had been replaced on Thursday and they
(a reputable independent repair shop) said they also
checked the joints and lubricated them where needed. They
said that everything looked fine.

I'm going to get ti checked on Monday but perhaps one of
you has run into something similar.

Thanks,
Pete