Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Passengers at Regional Events (Long)

To: "Vern Anderson" <vernon_anderson@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Passengers at Regional Events (Long)
From: "Wally Strzelec" <Wally@Tamu.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:59:20 -0500
Let me start with that I am in favor of passengers (or least I was before
moving to a kart :-).

BUT

That is because I do not really care about getting trophies or wining a
regional series.  It can be argued to death about whether riding as a
passenger is an advantage or not before taking runs.  For me its obvious and
it is an advantage, it does not matter if I'm riding with a novice or a hot
shoe, I learn a lot by getting a ride through the course.

All that said, there are folks that only do regional events and do care
about and want a real competition series.  These same people may be afraid
to speak up.  I think that regions need to take a hard look at it and make
sure that they do not have folks that really care about winning a regional
event.  If no one cares then there is no need for trophies and so you get to
save a bunch of money.

Personally I really like the way that the Houston region addressed the
issue.  They only allow passengers for novices and in the X class.  Folks
such as me that do not care about getting trophies or wining a regional
series can run in X class and have fun.  If I want to run against or ride
with my buddies, I get them to run in the X class as well.

-Wally