Re: How to get novices to "stick"

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick"
From: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:40:11 -0400
Dennis already covered a lot of what I was going to say.

I will admit again (and this is for Eric the Knuckledragger) that I've had a
few Moments where I've thought "My Ghod, I've inflicted Dennis Grant on an
unsuspecting autocross world."   But only a few.  Dennis is a great friend and
he's brought a lot of energy, enthusiasm, and, yes, a degree of single-minded
devotion to the sport that is commendable.  IMO, he's given back to the sport
far more than he's received.  I've helped a few new folks along here and there,
Dennis has gone me quite a few better in that department.

The point, though, is that you have to take the new folks under-wing until they
get used to the whole concept of the sport.  Because we *are* weird, relatively
speaking.  Besides Mark Shehan dragging me out to my first event back in '93
(and it took him a couple years to get me out there), he also introduced me to
Gary Godula and Marcus Merideth, and a guy named Mike Burke, who has served in
some sort of novice-training capacity for as long as anyone (including Mike)
can remember took an interest in me -- just because I was new -- and how I was
doing.  Mark and Gary and Marcus made sure I was brought into the social fold
as well -- the post-event dinner gatherings (Marcus and I's friendship was
cemented over a large pizza.  While everyone else at the table was eating
"lite" salads and grilled chicken, the two big guys down at the end were
engaged in a serious feed), etc.

Sure, if there's a novice class, it helps.  We in Detroit do a novice course
walk at every event.  It helps.  Some people "get it" without much effort --
their enthusiasm overcomes the weirdness of autocross.  Others, though, it
takes that personal effort to encourage them to come back.  In Detroit, it's a
mix of organized effort and several people who make it a point to Spot the
Novice and give 'em a hand on their own.

Jim Crider
Product Development Engineer
Engine Group
Metaldyne, Inc.