Problems with Keizer wheels...

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Problems with Keizer wheels...
From: Mike King <mapcomaps@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:39:55 -0400
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but just wanted to let
everyone know my experience with a new set of Keizers I've been running on.

Let's see. Roughly 5 autocrosses on a new set of 13x8 1/2" Keizers and all
of a sudden 2 of them start leaking air. Actually I should say flowing air
around the inner seam of where the back half meets the center. Upon closer
inspection, I noticed that in between each bolt/nut there was a cupping of
the metal, hence allowing air to escape at a high rate. I went ahead and
took the back half apart from the center and noticed a washboard effect all
around the mounting face of the back half of the wheels where the cupping
was occurring. I keep my inspection up and find that each bolt hole has a
nice 1/2" to 5/8" long rip/tear in the aluminum around where each nut/washer
was fastened. Basically it wasn't going to be much longer until the wheel
failed in my opinion. With the cupping and tearing, nothing's going to last.

So, in talks with Keizer, they seemed to be surprised that wasn't a "torque
ring" installed on the back side of the wheel. It seems this ring of metal,
I believe its steel, would cure any cupping problems which were causing the
tearing. When I purchased the wheels earlier this year, I was told "no, you
don't need any torque rings with such a light car. (1900lb SM Civic)" So,
they went ahead and sent out new back halves and torque rings, partially at
my own expense. The bolt kits still haven't arrived 2 weeks into this
ordeal. Hopefully they will tomorrow.

Basically, if you have a set of these rims, first make sure you have torque
rings installed on them. If not, check your bolt holes! Take a couple nuts
and washers off and check for any tearing of the aluminum. Check for the
cupping as well. Then get some torque rings. Maybe I'm the idiot in not
making them install torque rings to begin with, but I was told specifically
I didn't need them. "Those are more for the roundy-round guys," I was told.

I like the wheels so far. They're light, shiny, and do the job. But, just
watch out for what I said. I'd hate to see them start coming apart on
everyone. Btw, anyone else have problems like this??

Mike King
SM Civic SiR #21
Buccaneer Region