RE: Air bag Replacement

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air bag Replacement
From: "Leland F Nichols" <Lee.Nichols@morpho.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:42:11 -0500
Knuckledragger said earlier:
> As an aside, what are folks' major beefs with airbags?  Seriously.

I have to agree with Mr. Linnhoff on this one.  I've only been in one major
accident in my life, and (fortunately) it was in a vehicle with 2nd generation
airbags.  We were in a 2001 Mazda Tribute with front airbags.  We were hit by a
'94 Chevy full-size pickup at roughly a 30 degree angle into the driver's side
front wheel.  Both vehicles were traveling at ~50mph.  I was driving, with my
wife in the front passenger seat.  We were both wearing seatbelts; both airbags
deployed.  We both walked away; the driver of the other truck (no airbag) hit
his steering wheel and it folded down on his legs, breaking one or both of
them.  My right knee hit the dash _hard_.  I shudder to think what would have
happened to me with no airbag, if I went into the steering wheel with my chest
or head.  I had a 1"x1/2" "sunburn" on the outside of my right thumb from the
airbag, but had no injuries to my head or chest.

We had a "surreal" thing after our accident as well.  The left front wheel
sheared apart, with the center staying on the hub, but the rest separating off.
Our truck moved to the right and forward after the impact, and spun 90 degrees
so we were facing across the road.  Despite all this, the left front tire was
centered in the wheel well as if was properly mounted, even though it was not
attached to the truck at all.

all is my opinion, in my experience, ymmv, fwiw, etc.