Tow vehicle thoughts: compact P/U's?

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tow vehicle thoughts: compact P/U's?
From: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:18:34 -0700
Ok, my s/o-type is looking at trading in her new beetle for a truck (we
finally decided that the beetle was not going to be a contender in SM
without some serious work).

She's not into full-size pickup trucks, mainly for size reasons.  She's
looking at various configurations of compact pickups with club/quad
cabs; the Dodge Dakota, explorer sport trac, toyota tacoma, etc.

My question is this: I'm getting to where I'd like to have a tow vehicle
for nationals and national tours and such.  Some of these p/u's claim a
towing capacity that is just over why my car plus trailer would weigh
(car + trailer = about 5800lbs, max Dakota towing capacity seems to be
6150lbs).

Should that even be a consideration, or is it completely masochistic to
even think of towing with one of those things?  Alternatively, is there
any smaller compact pikcup / sport-ute (with a bed) that is reasonable
for towing purposes?  That is, that you'd be comfortable towing nearly
6000lbs with from SF to Topeka and back?

Thanks in advance
-Brooks