Re: [kcautox] Need a legal eagle

To: "Autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>, "kcautox"
Subject: Re: [kcautox] Need a legal eagle
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:21:18 -0500
No hope, boyo.

If an issue such as that misspelled name is raised, the prosecutor merely
dismisses the charge against Linhoff, and refiles it against Linnhoff. He
can do that anytime before the statute of limitations runs out.

Then the cop testifies, "Yes, I recognize the defendant from the abrasions
on his knuckles," and it is established you are the miscreant he stopped.

Throw yourself on the mercy of the court, plead mitigating circumstances
(the guy in front slowed down) but don't protest your innocence too
stridently. Get the new tags BEFORE you go to court, so you can show you
took care of your legal responsibility there. That's why you got stopped in
the first place, of course, and FTC was merely an add-on.

Sometimes (not a majority of the time) it works to visit the prosecutor and
exhuding contrition explain how the FTC offense came to be and note that you
have taken care of the tags. The FTC might get dismissed in trade for a plea
to the tags (lesser charge, non-moving) and a fine. Worst that can happen is
he says no. Might even point out the misspelling so their records are right.
It'll catch up anyway through the DL number.

Or, in trial, try this: "I'm an experienced motorsport competitor, yer honor
... I wasn't tailgating, I was drafting!"  ;-)

--Rocky
(not a lawyer, but 10 years of my newspaper career on the courts beat)