Neon repair the saga continues

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Neon repair the saga continues
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:07:15 -0600
Hi gang,

Thanks for all the advice about the Neon headgasket repair. The dealer
did split the cost with me, but insisted on replacing the head bolts and
belts running the price up to $800-ish, my half $400-ish.

Now the car has a knock. Only from 2500 - 3300 RPM and only at partial,
10% - 30%, throttle. Has had it since the car left the dealer after the
head gasket repair 250 miles ago. 'figured since the car made it home it
can't be a rod bearing.

Were it a 911 the sound would be piston slap but these modern
water-cooled things confuse me.

Given that a '97 DOHC Neon ACR can't be worth more than $2000 bucks I'm
tempted to slap in some conecting rod bearings and drive it until it
dies. That may be less painfull than dealing with the idiots at the DC
dealership that has the best reputation in Omaha.

Favorite quote from the service manager, "Uhh, you don't mind if we
can't finish your car today?"

"That's fine, do it right, no rush. I'll just drive the other car for a
couple more days."

"You have another car?"

Any advice before the Talk with the service manager is appriciated.
(Otherwise I may just start with the owner who's wife does do-gooder
stuff with my wife.)