Air Bag Proceedures

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Bag Proceedures
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 19:44:14 -0500
Hey Team.Netter

I have a question I'm asking for my mother, so I don't want any grief about
there not being any autocross content. Besides, if you get my mom honked
off, even though she is in her early 80's, you are liable to end up gutted
with her metal nail file, so be polite. Ahem...

Anyway,Mom, driving her 1995 Altima, backed out of a parking spot, put the
car in drive and a parked truck jumped out in front of her. Just ask her,
she'll tell you all about it. She hit the truck poking a hole in the front
bumper cover. When she got out and saw that she hadn't totaled the truck she
backed off and drove away. However, the air bag light is now blinking and
she wants me to turn off the light.

According to the Haynes manual I bought, you can disconnect both battery
leads and wait a 1/2 hour or so untill the battery in the air bag sensor
goes flat. Then, when you reconnect the battery, the airbag computer should
reset itself.

That said, I don't want to re-connect the battery and have the entire car
explode around me. So there is an autocross content. If I get hurt trying to
fix Mom's car, I won't be able to compete next season. So there!!!

My question is: Has anybody out there had any experience with airbags and a
system light? Is what I read correct, or is there a different and maybe
safer way to reset the light?

Your gracious help is most appreciated. It will also keep me in the good
graces of my dearest Mom!

Larry Steckel