TIRES!

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: TIRES!
From: Steven Fooshee <sfooshee@clubrx.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 23:31:42 -0600
Hey, I'm tired of drumming up dino v. synthetic oil arguements, so I
figured I'd help us pass the winter time discussing tires.

I'm shopping for some autox tires to run on a VERY abraisive and
gravelly surface. It's dirty enough that Kumhos are routinely faster
than Hoosiers since the Hoosiers literally get covered in a layer of
pebbles sticking to the tires. If Falken's Azenis [?] was available in
225/50-15, I'm sure it would be the best tire for this surface. The
problem is, even with five or so years running on this same surface, I
have little direct comparison between brands. I've only seen one car on
Toyos (and it did very well). Top level street tires are frequently
competitive to race tires in many classes, but there's not enough
evidence to eliminate differences in driver skill.

The car is a roughly 200 rwhp second generation RX-7 turbo with plenty
of camber.

I'm curious what results people have had between the Toyo, Yokohama's
032 "tractor tire," whatever BFG has these days, and the new Kumho
tires. My main interests are useful life and tolerance of heat cycling.
And of course, which is faster. :-D

I'm sure much useful (and subdued) conversation is to follow. :)