Re: [evolution-disc.] SS Classing.....just curious

To: psalerno77@snet.net (Pat Salerno)
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] SS Classing.....just curious
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:32:37 EST
Pat,

You make a strong argument for making SS open to any vehicle regardless of
cost or performance, but IMO are overlooking some basic realities.  Since SS
is the top Stock class, if the class has low participation; i.e. poor
economics, cars cannot be brought down from above to rejuvenate membership
participation.  All that can be done; literally, is to punt the dominators
into ASP.

The recent situation to move some of the slower SS vehicles downward to
rejuvenate AS serves as a suitable example.  Had this not been a suitable
option then at least there are some vehicles in BS that potentially could
have been moved up into AS.  Given that BS is a relatively strong class with
regard to both participation and enthusiasm, the latter was a much more risky
move in the sense they could have rejuvenated AS at the expense of BS.  Note
that neither option is currently available if SS were in a similar situation
as AS.  Clearly, the only option available to SS is to punt

Your statements regarding cost levels of for various components is highly
inaccurate ( I would prefer to use a different "i" word, but that might be
perceived as not being nice).  With a good set of single adjustable shocks
($900 shelf to $1,600 custom Koni - $2,000 custom Penske) anyone with the
driving skill and vehicle setup knowledge is capable of winning SS in a Z06
against any other combination of allowable parts.The application is known
well enough now that compression valving adjustment is not needed.  The best
generally available price for OE factory wheels is $1750/set; the same cost
as a set of CCW wheels.  More expensive wheels are not significantly lighter
than OE, if at all.  Aggressive brake pads are known to cause ABS issues, so
not really needed.  Throw in the cost of an optional front swaybar, a K&N
filter, maybe an exhaust or straight pipes; another $750.  Bottom line, the
cost to outfit a Z06 with allowable race parts is the same as almost any
other stock class car.

I'm not on the SEB and cannot speak for their decision process, but as an
individual SCCA member it is clear to me that economics and other important
aspects of the membership's best interests must be given consideration in
that process.  I stated it earlier this week, Andy Hollis just brought it up
in another response, and I'll repeat it one more time.  Car classification is
based on realities faced by our organiziation, not some esoteric sports car
principle.  The cost consideration factor is nothing new.  The SEB uses it to
assess any number of situations; equipment allowances, etc., so why is it
suddenly unacceptable to use it for considering vehicle classification,
particularly given the unique situation of SS?

Further, the SEB is comprised of highly experienced individuals representing
the various SCCA membership areas.  If a majority on the SEB agreed with your
viewpoint then we potentially could be discussing why the SEB is allowing SS
to be dominated by a few ultra-expensive vehicles.  IMO the reality is that
whether or not anyone agrees with the present domination of SS by the Z06's,
nobody can reasonably argue that the present participation and enthusiasm
levels of the class isn't in the best interest of the membership.

Mark Sipe