Mini gear shift knob

To: Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mini gear shift knob
From: Bob Monday <boysrus_racing@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:37:00 -0800 (PST)
Has anyone else had trouble with that bowling-ball sized chrome shifter
knob coming off in your hand when you 'throw a big shift'? That's kind
of unnerving on an autocross course! At least I didn't loft it into the
radio or drop it into the back seat. That WOULD have been hard to
recover from while on course! Ever try to drive a slalom with your left
hand and put the knob back on its post with the right?

It probably happened 4 times last Saturday. Is this natural, or is it
my technique? (Fortunately, it is under warranty for another 35,100
miles..) The crazy thing doesn't screw on. It just has some little
plastic tabs that "lock" (wishful thinking, apparently) into a groove.

I HATE the knob, BTW. Talk about being as cold as a %&%^*  #$%$ !!
Lot's of mass there. I'd advise against putting your tongue on it in
the winter if you live north of Frostproof, FL!

Bob Monday
Indpls