BMW/Mini Gear shift launches

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: BMW/Mini Gear shift launches
From: "Todd Moore" <TMoore@Spincraft.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:47:07 -0600
Bob:
I think everybody who autocrosses a BMW has the same problem.  It was a
little surprising to me, also.  I was glad I didn't crack the rear window.
One guy locally finally epoxy'd his on, but I didn't think that would go
over real well if I ever needed warranty work, so I found a better way.
Yank your knob, (if you don't mind my using that phrase), measure the width
of the slot with an inside caliper, and squeeze the end of your shaft with a
pair of visegrips to close the slot about .010 inch.  It didn't take much
pressure, so take it easy.  When you put your knob back on, you will have to
push pretty hard or give it a whack with the heel of your hand to get it on,
but it won't fly off again.  Incidentally, there are many alternative BMW
knobs available from places like Bavarian Autosport (BavAuto.com).  Maybe
you will find one that is both heated, and pleasant tasting.
Todd