No Audis in my future was: Audi A4 Cruise Control Problems

To: General <general@rennlist.org>, Teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: No Audis in my future was: Audi A4 Cruise Control Problems
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:18:53 -0500
<rant mode on>

I clock into the dealership this morning at 7:02 and say the
cruise control isn't working. About 8:00 the service writer comes
to me and says the cruise switch has failed (gee, surprise) and
that it would be mucho dinaro to replace. I okayed it, but
indicated that we had contacted Audi Customer Care. At 8:35 I see
that the car is already out of the shop. Another :35 and the car
is washed and the service writer returns with the bill. I again
inquire about the support of Audi Customer Care, but "he" cannot
do anything with regard to the out of warranty problem. The car
is 7k past warranty. I then inquire about being billed for 2.5
hours. Apparently the diagnosis is additional to the replacement.
I ask if he is sure about that. Yup. (gee that's nice) At this
point, I see no need to ever purchase another Audi, and head on
my way. Once on the road, I happen to glance at the invoice and
see I was charged $18.56 for "shop supplies." Interesting. I call
the service manager and go over the details. He said I should
have never been charged for the shop supplies, and he would
credit us. He also looked into what if any assistance he could
give to us. To make a long story short, he offered to return
nearly one third of the charges, which was truly an earnest
attempt to help.

Here's the part that gets me. The original cruise switch was
replaced at 20k miles. Audi says that the regular parts warranty
now applies to the replaced switch (12 months, 12k miles). Huh?
So apparently by the unwavering guidelines, warranty stopped on
the new cruise switch at 32k. My wife had contacted Audi America,
who I just called a few minutes to update them on what has
transpired. They'll get back to me next week.

I do appreciate the service manager making the adjustment, but
the warranty guidelines are bizarre.

<Okay, rant mode off>
Matt Murray

mattm@optonline net (the "dot" is missing to reduce data mining)