Re: Prosolo course

To: ax-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Prosolo course
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:46:52 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Chris Ramey wrote:
> Yes, the fence was close to the pavement.  Not the event's fault.  Yes,
> there were some incidents that could probably be better discussed off of the
> public forums, but the fact is, the incidents had more to do with driver
> errors, and bad luck than course faults.  I think the drivers would likely
> agree.
>
> The course was fairly distanced from the edge of the pavement given the
> site.  The start and timers were well away from the finish, as were the grid
> and impound areas.  Perhaps they should  have planned an escape route in
> case of brake failure, but the people getting near the start by spinning
> through the finish were simply not driving responsibly on those runs.
> It is a worthy excercise to analyze the course after incidents, but the
> conclusion here is that the course was not lacking in layout, IMO.

Ok, I wasn't there.  I must not have anything valid to say.

That said...

Autocross is a sport where people are encouraged to push their car over
the limit _because_ making a mistake will not result in damage.  Lots of
us enjoy that about autox.

Your implication above that its ok to have a course where a mistake will
cause damage and that its the driver's responsibility to not make that
mistake does _not_ fit what my idea of autox is.

This bears saying more and more it seems.

Mark