AM help needed....

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: AM help needed....
From: "Rick Cone" <rickcone@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:17:46 -0500
I received a phone call this morning from a distant family member who would
like to get into autocrossing, now that retirement is on the horizon.  Now
I've never spoken to this person before, I think we're third cousins, but
I'm not good with the family tree thing.   The thing is this person is,
shall we say, very rich.  You would be too if you won the 1994 AL Cy Young
Award.  At 40 he is starting another comeback in baseball, which I think is
cool....

Anyway... from internal family word of mouth, he found out what I did.
David has always been fascinated with sports cars and has even been to a few
professional driving schools.  What has really turned him on the Autocross
world, is that he can go fast and yet still be safe from tearing up his
body.  We talked about what Autocrossing is, and the type of cars that run.
He wanted to know if he could drive his NSX, and I said sure, but it
probably would not be very competitive in the present classing... He then
asked what the fastest thing out there was, and I started describing the AM
beasts... This really got the excitement going.  Something about going zero
to 60 in 3 seconds.... :)

He happens to know someone that owns a garage full of ex-IndyCar and F1 cars
from the late 80's and early 90's, and he wanted to know if they were
eligible for that class (AM)?  I personally would think the IndyCars (CART)
wheelbase would be to long to be competitive in the class, but he mentioned
a late 80's backup car from Benetton... and my heartbeat started racing!

So all you AM (or Mod guys) out there....what are the 'general' rules for
AM... Just a displacement to weight issue?

Thanks for all your help....

Rick Cone