Towing Question: Dodge Dakota

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Towing Question: Dodge Dakota
From: "David Disney" <disney7@vic.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:30:54 -0500
I'm thinking of retiring my old '79 F-250 (351M) and getting a '98
Dodge Dakota with the 5.2L (318) engine. I need something a little
more comfortable on long trips (with good A/C!).

Has anyone towed with one of these (mid-size) trucks? My car weighs
1250 pounds and my current trailer is about 1800 pounds, though I'll
be building a custom trailer in the future that should be under 1000.

Basically, I'm looking at the Dodge because it is the only mid-size
truck available with a V8 and I need something smaller I can get
around town (parking garages) fairly easily.

Also, pretty much anywhere out of town that I go I have to tow up a
mountain to get there, so I'd like to have something that won't
leave me creeping up the steep parts at 50 mph.

Automatic or Manual? I prefer manual, but I hear that the newer autos
have a higher towing capacity than the manuals. Anyone know how the
trannys hold up?

Thanks

   - Dave Disney