Re: More on Course Design School

To: James Rogerson <jrogerson@Houston.rr.com>
Subject: Re: More on Course Design School
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 17:50:02 -0600
Amen, James!  And my hat's off to the way you guys and gals do it down
there in Houston.  Here in Red River, when we're done setting up the
course, we try to allow enough time to drive through it with a Tundra
pickup pulling the club trailer at about 20 mph or less.  Obviously,
with a rig of that size, you can't drive the kind of line you're going
to be driving in your race car or you'll mow down a whole bunch of the
cones that you just set up!!!

Piled into that truck are the Solo Safety Stewards, the event
chairman/course designer, and the key people who were involved in
setting up the course.  We also carry a stack of cones.  If we see
something that needs "fixing," we fix it on the fly.  Then I and my
other Solo Safety Stewards walk the course with the event
chairman/course designer - looking for and correcting potential safety
problems if we find any.  Once that walk is finished and we're satisfied
that everything is OK, THEN AND ONLY THEN do we mark the cones and
outline the course.

I don't fault your intentions, Jim.  But, like others, I think your
approach is overkill.  I much prefer the system that James has outlined
of "teaching" people the basic concepts and then turning them loose to
do their thing - with experienced oversight.  We've got a wealth of
people in this organization who have course design experience.  I dare
say that many of them would be more than happy to share their experience
if somebody would just ask them.

Roger and James put on a course design session on Saturday morning at
the National Convention in KC - right after Rob Pickrell and I finished
with our Solo Safety Awareness session.  It was very well attended and
very well received.  Personally, I think this approach will serve our
needs much better in the future than having Certified Course Designers.
  The same concept could be carried to the Divisional level with a
course design session at Divisional Roundtables and to the Regional
level as Houston has done with their program.  It could (and, in my
opinion, SHOULD) also be incorporated into the SCCA-U curriculum.

Just my 2-cents worth from this old beer-fried grey matter.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman