Re: [evolution-disc.] Need 5/16" ID washers, about .080" thick

To: "Evolution" <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Need 5/16" ID washers, about .080" thick
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:57:40 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> Eric, check http://www.mcmaster.com/
===========================
Thanks to all those who suggested I look to McMaster.  They have some .078"
thick washers that are close enough to what I want.  In case you might be
wondering why I want such a specific item, here's the story.

This is to improve upon the slightly inferior design of Ground
Control's Neon camber plates.  You see, the OE upper strut mount holes are
about .545" ID while the 5/16" hardware (that the plates are drilled for)
are about .313".  So, no matter how tightly I torqued the bolts, the plates
would
always seem to slip around a bit in that extra near-1/4" of slop between the
OE sheet metal hole and the camber plate hardware.  So, I want some
washers/spacers to take up that slop.  And the thicker the better in my
opinion, up to just under the OE sheet metal's thickness (about .093") even
though they shouldn't bear much of a shear load.

So, round one found us taking a $20 length of chrome moly .313" ID tubing,
machining down the OD to .540" and then "parting off" washers of about .080"
thickness.  The first one took us about 90 minutes and the 2nd one took us
about 12 minutes.

It was then, thank God, that the shop owner came over and asked what
we were doing.  "Making washers that will fit a 5/16" bolt but have an OD of
about .540" is what I replied.  He said, "Why don't you simply turn down the
outside of a 5/16" AN washer?"  I said "because you can't just chuck a
single washer into the lathe."  To which he replied "No, but you can put
about 30 of them together onto a bolt, chuck _that_ up into the lathe and
turn them all down at once."

"DOH!" we both said as we slapped our foreheads.  Sometimes the old geezers
_do_ know what the heck they're talking about.  ;^)

Thanks guys.  .078" is  a lot closer to what I want than .063".

Eric Linnhoff
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a
relief denied even to prayer."
Mark Twain