Re: Saftey issue - 3 questions

To: "'Team.Net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Saftey issue - 3 questions
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 07:36:12 -0500
Eric Salem  wrote:

>So here's the questions: How do other regions deal with people
that
>won't make the effort to put on an event or get SSS credential
but
>always want to whine about the course under the guise of
'Safety';

I've changed courses for which I was responsible, either as event
SSS or course designer, over safety concerns that I didn't share.
In most cases, it's been possible to alter things enough to
satisfy the folks who expressed concerns without affecting the
actual line.

>and
>should I have followed my first instinct which was to send him
home;

Unless he's doing something unsafe himself, you don't really have
the authority to send him home.

In a later note, Eric wrote:

>Well the was that little part I didn't include about they were
going to
>call the SCCA's Insurance number.

While it would have made for some after-the-fact questions, it
would have had little effect otherwise, as long as the event was
conducted according to the safety rules and you, as event SSS,
could vouch for that.

In the case of one event I attended at which the course design
was decidedly unsafe, I told the SSS, who had absolutely refused
to consider a change, that I would withdraw my entry, observe the
event, and file a report (I was a SSS at the time). This finally
got the individual's attention, and they made the requisite
changes.

Not all safety-related complaints are unfounded. As a course
designer and past SSS, I am inclined to give folks with differing
points of view the benefit of the doubt. In general, I believe
that's a good policy.

Jay