Re: Z4 hardtops in SSB

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Z4 hardtops in SSB
From: BobTunnell@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:07:11 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/03 1:11:26 PM, owner-ax-digest@autox.team.net writes:

>TC has been running a team of Z4s in the Grand-Am Cup without tops - rain
>or shine.   Are hardtops a requirement in SSB?
>Woody

Yes, a hard top is required on all cars in SSB.

However, an often misunderstood point is that there is no requirement in the
GCR that the tops be OEM... only that you must have a hardtop.  So even if you
had a difficult time ordering one through your BMW dealer (or paying for it
<g>), technically I suppose you could make your own.

--BT

PS.  The SOMs overturned the initial protest of the cars, but the Appeals
Court overturned the decision of the SOMs and ruled the Z4 ineligible for
competition in 2003 apparently based on the chronology of the eligibility and
approval process.  Based on the ruling of the AC, the Chief Steward of The
Runoffs
had no choice but to DSQ the three Z4s.  It's inconceivable to me that such a
ruling could be made the night before the race for the National Championship
when those cars had been considered eligible all season... even through Runoffs
practice and qualifying.