Re: ax-digest V1 #1269

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ax-digest V1 #1269
From: Davard@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:42:14 -0400
>Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Yuri Klepach <civicr1992@yahoo.com>
>Subject: 2000 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed questions
>
>Hi,
>I'm trying to help a friend w/his Maxima (98k miles).  A few questions:
>
>   what transmission fluid does Nissan recommend & what's the capacity of the
> 5-speed tranny?

Assuming that the '02 Altima uses the same gearbox, since the Maxima owner's
manual doesn't list capacity (
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=37 ), it should take
3 5/8 - 3 7/8 qts of GL4 75W-90 gear oil.

>   car needs struts & shocks.  It's the daily driver, not AutoXer or racer.
>What struts/shocks would you recommend?  OEM ones are $190/each (I believe
>they are made by Tokico for SE model).  I was thinking of Koni Yellows for
>$136 from Tire Rack would be a better choice.  What about KYB GR-2?
>Personally, I'd stay away from GR-2.

For a daily driver, having to hack apart the strut housings (as you have to do
for the fronts with the Koni's is a bit extreme. The GR2's are intended to be a
sporty OEM replacement, having slightly firmer valving than the stock struts.
For a non-autocrosser, they should work perfectly.

>   during sudden throttle opening from low RPM I can hear knocking.  Looks
>like Nissan is distributerless.  How can I retard the ignition timing?  How
>can I prevent detonation during WOT?

The Nissan dealer should be able to adjust the base timing in the computer. You
might also try switching gas stations, making sure to use premium. But
sometimes, this is hard to avoid. Best economy and power are acheived just
short of knocking, and sometimes when loads are changed suddenly, the computer
can't keep up. You might also be dealing with a dead or disconnected knock
sensor, as Nissan's are usually pretty good at preventing knock (as long as you
don't adjust the car out of it's range of retard adjustment, which is possible
on cars such as the early SE-Rs).

>Let me know what you think.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Yuri K