Re: Math problem (triangle area solution)

To: <mattm@optonline.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Math problem (triangle area solution)
From: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:22:26 -0500
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:29:43 -0500, Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net> said:

>Okay, we know I am a little thick.  :^)

>I gotta triangle that one side is 190, the next side is 125 and the third
>is 170. How much area do I have?

>I should know this but I am blanking out.

Triangle area is 1/2bh.  If 190 is the base, a quick bit of scaled sketching
yields a height of 110, so area is 0.5(190)(110), or 10450 square units.  A
quick bit of trig says that the angle between the 190 and 125 sides is 61.64
degrees, the angle between the 190 and 170 sides is 40.32 degrees, and the
angle between the 170 and 125 sides is 78.04 degrees.  Okay, that last one was
easy -- the sum of the three angles in a triangle must equal 180 degrees, so if
you know two of them, the third is what's left.

This has been today's mathematics lesson. :)

Jim Crider
autojim@despammed.com

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation
is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning
is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient. Thank you. Metaldyne
LLC