regulating boost limits in SP, let's discuss (calmly and with

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: regulating boost limits in SP, let's discuss (calmly and with
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:30:55 -0500
Having run turbo cars in the past, and with my plan to go back to ESP (with
two new turbocharged cars) in '04, I'd like some opinions and input from
the folks here about how to regulate boost pressure....  I've gotten this
stigma for being a pony-car guy.  I happen to like power and
RWD.  Guilty.  But I have run turbo cars in the past (still own one),
including an RX7 in 2000.  I know what a few pounds of extra boost can
do............

Here's my issue:  Pretty much any newer car that is turbocharged has boost
pressure regulated by the computer.  In SP, computers are free, as are
intakes and exhaust systems.  Here's my issue.  Cars can and do gain boost
via improved breathing.  How are we as competitors and impounds workers to
tell how much boost increase came from the breathing vs. a computer tuned
boost increase?   Since computers are free, and boost pressure isn't
regulated by the SCCA, there is nothing to stop someone from turning his or
hers up a quick 4 or 5 psi (a very quick 40-50 hp) and claiming the gain
was from the downpipe or some other part.......  Further, many of the new
computers have more than one mapping that can be quickly changed with the
flick of switch.  This means one could conceivably run illegally modified
boost, but change mapping on the way to impound.  A boost check in impound
could reveal nothing, or very little increase from the allowed boost
creep.  Anyone wishing to protest would plain out of luck and lose.

One of the caveats with the rules has always been that cars shouldn't get
special rules.  Clearly a turbocharged car can gain a lot of power very
easily if this is not policed.  If you have a Supercharged car, you cannot
change your blower pulley to gain boost, or you'd get tossed.  Clearly
normally aspirated cars have no equivalent to "boost creep" or altered
boost pressures and/or mapping.  I'd love to be allowed to install
Sub-frame connectors, but the argument as always been "no equivalent" for
other cars.

I've expressed these concerns to the SEB and to Doug Gill in writing.  As
usual, I've not heard anything, not even a confirmation that I sent a
letter.  Clearly, having driven the STi and I'm sure soon a Evo8, I'm
concerned about this.  I'm not accusing anyone of cheating, people cheat in
other ways with other classes too.  But, it would be pretty easy to whack
the boost and get away with it, which isn't fair to the others in the class
who are playing by the rules.  I'm a little frustrated that this seems to
be of no concern to anyone.

My proposal has been and is still this:  Allow boost controllers in SP, but
limit the gain to a number like 2 psi over max. stock boost.   This gives
the owners of turbocharged cars a power increase.  This even helps those
turbo cars that do not gain a full 2 psi over their stock by allowing them
to turn the boost to that level.  Allowing a boost controller also means
you can trim back cars that make a lot  more boost.  It's measurable and
not a situation where the owner can claim the increase came from here,
there, or anywhere.  Who cares?  Do what you want, just keep a cap on it.

Keep in mind this does not just effect ESP, but everyone with a turbo car
in their class.  Not only that, it effects everyone who runs ProSolo's for
Challenge points.  You may have to run a car with altered boost in a
Challenge sometime.  You have the right to protest that car because you are
competing against that car.

Let's please keep this civil.  I'm all ears, and curious what you think and
why you do.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com