Re: Turbo Cars in SP

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Turbo Cars in SP
From: "David W. James" <vnend@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:36:30 -0500
On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 09:52  AM, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
wrote:
> You haven't fixed the problem. Assuming a willful cheater and
> computer-controlled boost (where the boost solenoid has sufficiant
> control
> authority, not a given) you can do an "impound" setting of 2lbs over
> stock
> (whatever "stock" is, there's another kettle of fish) and then an
> on-course
> setting of stock + x.

The two pronged answer to that is A) external, mechanical boost
controllers only (ha!) and B) a seal put on the control at tech.  When
(if) a car is protested, impound checks the seal (not there? fails),
takes it off and does the boost level check then.  If it is too high,
DQ.  In spec, put a new seal on and report that that part of the car
was legal.

The only problem is the mechanical boost control.  Most systems are
going to be electric, and impound would need to trace the wires to
ensure the visible control didn't have a remote aux. control.

And then there are exotics like bluetooth or CF-sized 802.11
transmitters hidden in the system to allow wireless control.  Or simple
accellerometer based solutions that only kick the boost when it senses
a high-g launch for X amount of time.  Probably doable for less than
$500 and damned hard to detect unless the OBDII computer is logging
such activity and the perp. didn't remember to re-program (or remove)
the computer.

Hmmm, this is starting to sound like racing to me.

David