Re: ax-digest V1 #1333

To: scott@tengen.com
Subject: Re: ax-digest V1 #1333
From: Charles Moss <charlesmoss@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:48:28 -0500
I have used (and use) these on a 1998 Eagle Talon AWD.
I ordered mine direct from the UK, before they were
imported to the US, having loved EBCs on motorcycles for
years.

With stock brakes, the Greens cooked and stopped working
after a fairly short time.  Autocrossing on mediocre street
tyres, the pads suffered noticable, permanent performance
degradation after each event.  These were sent back to EBC
who confirmed they'd been severely overheated, and they sent
me a set of Reds.  I found I could not get the Reds up to
temperature - most of the time the brakes just mediocre.  I
changed at this point to Porterfield R4S, which have been
great - they last probably 30k, but the rotors wear at the
same rate.  No fade problems at all until I moved to race
tyres and started trying left-foot braking.

I recently fitted the latest iteration of Greens to this same
98 Talon, but this time with AEM's large diameter rotor kits
front and rear.  I don't have huge mileage on them - 5k or so,
but I'm very happy with them.  It should be noted that the
heatsink mass of the AEM rotors is far greater than that of
the stock rotors, which is probably significant.

I like Greens' zero rotor wear and dead-cold performance, but
if those were not as important I would go back to running
Porterfield R4S pads, which other than the above two issues
are as good or better than Greens, with a much higher heat
tolerance.  I just don't want to be replacing relatively
expensive rotor blades that often.

Charles Moss

>Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:53:46 -0500
>From: "Scott Tengen" <scott@tengen.com>
>Subject: Green Stuff?
>
>I have read about these EBC green stuff and red stuff pads and was
>interested in some real world use information on them. I have a 94
Miata