Quick V-Dub Question

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Quick V-Dub Question
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:06:45 -0500
>Being that the SEB decided (think incorrectly given solid data) that the
>Evo8 and STi are going to stay in ESP, I feel it only fair to give folks a
>heads up about some issues I will be raising with the SEB.  These are not
>new, but have come to fore given this decision.  I will live with their
>decision until such time I decide my car is uncompetitive.  However, if I
>decide that given my experience and my car preparation, I can pretty much
>assure you many others will decide their cars are not competitive either
>and leave the class.  This is a shame given the competitiveness, steady
>numbers, as well as the fact there is a ready supply of cars easily
>obtained for the class.
>
>1.  Something has to be done to police turbo boost.  Whether you think
>it's important or not, there is currently no way to police the
>boost.  Cars running and winning National events are equipped with
>computers that allow alternate mapping of the boost controls.  This will
>be looked at if I have to protest to get attention drawn to the problem.
>
>2.  The line about ProSolo not mattering in the classing of cars will have
>to be changed.  ProSolo is under the National Solo Series
>umbrella.  ProSolo uses Solo2 rules.  If you are found illegal @ the Solo2
>Nationals, the penalty can be backdated to the ProSolo Series Finale.  Any
>protest filed in ProSolo, if appealed, goes before the Solo Events
>Board.  There is money to be won and lost in ProSolo where there is not in
>Solo2.
>
>3.  The SEB will have to come up with a set of rules it lives by in
>classing cars.  In this case we have plenty of data showing a new car,
>driven by a very competent driver with little seat time showing up in an
>established class and almost winning.  We have the same car driven by a
>current National Champion in 60 degree weather back to back with a known
>top-flight ESP Camaro and going 1.4 seconds faster on a replica of the
>Solo2 Nationals North Course.  Often in Topeka it is 60 degrees or
>colder.  Often it is 100 degrees or more.  Weather conditions cannot be
>something you can arbitrarily say effected times when both cars were run
>under the SAME conditions, and on the same brand tires.
>
>4.  The SEB members do not need explain their votes (sealed) to the
>members of the club.  This is not acceptable.  I have a right to know what
>my US Senator votes, or my local councilman.  Yet I have no knowledge of
>the reasoning or thought process behind the decisions made.  Without this
>knowledge, anyone dissenting has an impossible job of making a fair and
>balanced argument for change.  What we have currently is a group of well
>meaning volunteers deciding the fate of many folk's time and money.  There
>has to be some accountability in the actions of the SEB.  Not personally,
>but professionally.  I know it's tough, and likely will not happen as
> [...]

As a student of history I'm worried that lessons that should have been
learned throughout the great M3 debate clearly have not been learned.  The
first lesson one should learn is; Those who do not learn from their
mistakes are doomed to repeat them.  The SEB has just repeated history.  As
upset as I was then about that car in ESP, it was more similar to the
current cars than the Evo and STi are and better prepared, with no
questionable part added that are not SP legal (I'm speaking of the computer
known to be in the Evo that can alter boost if asked).  These new cars have
more power, more torque, better brakes, and out slalom an M3 in bone stock
trim.  They are nothing but better in most everyway.  If you have a doubt
about that, consider the E36 M3 is in B-stock, while the Evo8 and STi are
in A-stock.

I'm sure there a many who disagree with me.  I can live with that.  Not
many of those who disagree have had the privilege to drive both cars back
to back in numerous stages of development.  I highly doubt many, if any,
members of the SEB or SPAC who made this poor recommendation have driven
the cars in question, and I'm sure nobody has had the opportunity Mike
Johnson had to drive a completely prepared Camaro and somewhat prepared
Evo8 back to back, the same day, on the same brand of tires.  If a proven
driver's record with all conditions being equal does not count at all, I
ask you what does?

I will be forwarding my concerns to the Board of Directors, and Steve Johnson.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com
800-729-1831 orders/price info.