Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>, <Smokerbros@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: "Charles" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:05:41 -0500
Just to stir up the fires of discussion a bit while we are on the subject,
I'm wondering just how much
useful (to settle protests) info is actually even in the FSM? In these days
of R&R, especially for warantee work, how many specs are actually needed by
the dealer's service center, the intended "audience" for the FSM. Does the
factory need to tell the dealer what the stock head thickness and max safe
deck milling spec is, or does it say if the head is warped, just replace it?
After all the manufacturer is in the replacement parts business, NOT in
machine shop work. Does the factory care if the dealers know what the OEM
combustion chamber volume is? He may not even know how to measure it! Does
it specify the valve diameters or material? what about the injector nozzle
flow rate or
pattern? I've never seen cam lift and duration specs in a FSM. The FSM for
our car says that if there is cylinder bore wear or damage, replace the
block, does that mean I can or cannot bore the cylinders as allowed in the
SCCA rule book? There are no part #s in the FSM, how do I prove or disprove
a part is the one the car came with if protested? I doubt the dealer or
anyone short of the factory can tell you what the OEM suspension spring
rates are supposed to be for any given car/model/pkg. I could go on and on
with examples of performance enhancements (without even touching electronic
enhancements) that could be made without being able to be proven or
disproven legal with the FSM or by the dealer, my contention being is that
we are required to
own/use a flawed (for the purpose) document as our "bible" to live or die
by. Discuss!