Re: Fiero upgrade, new GTO - hmmm - Pontiacs and autocross?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fiero upgrade, new GTO - hmmm - Pontiacs and autocross?
From: George Ryan <george.ryan@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:29:53 -0700 (PDT)
In a message dated 5/7/04 21:43:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Smokerbros@aol.com writes:

>  I guess if not allowing Fiero drivers to update/backdate in a way that
>  no other cars are allowed to is looking down our nose at Fieros, then
>  yes, we're guilty as charged.
>
>  Charlie

My question for you - - What's wrong with making a unique allowance
for a unique car? The Fiero is different, there are no other cars out there
quite like it. So the Fiero community asks for a little consideration to
accomodate their uniqueness, what it is wrong with that??

Actually, the answer I once received from someone very high in the
SCCA Solo program was that there weren't enough Fieros competing
at the National level to warrant that type consideration. In reality, the
reason that there are so few in National level competition is just the
opposite - most Fiero drivers don't want to waste their time and money
only to be a backmarker. That is the role that the SCCA has relegated
to the Fiero owners/drivers through their regulations - since the early
90's, even a hot-shoe driver could not be Nationally competitive in a
Fiero the way the rules have been. (The V6 Fiero was very competitive
until then, if you recall)

I could list a host of travesties by the SCCA against our community
since the early 90's - for example, how about them classing a 90hp
2700lb car ( the 2.5L four cylinder Fiero) against the Neon for years
and years, refusing to re-class it even when petitioned? Can you,
Charlie (or anybody else for that matter) offer a reasonable explanation
for that decision???

But what's the point - -.  In any case, I hope the SCCA marches on in
their current direction. I would rather the SCCA sanction go-karts and
drifting, and leave the real grassroots stuff to clubs that know how to run
a motorsports organization - - and offer a user-friendly website for it's
members use to boot!