Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Towing - Regular Van vs. Extended Van

To: Eric Linnhoff <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Towing - Regular Van vs. Extended Van
From: Dave Hardy <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:03:43 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
I hit a 1976 full size chevy pickup that did an illegal U-Turn right into my
path.  To make it even more fun, I was towing the racecar at the time too.  I
hit him hard enough to put him on his roof.  I was doing about 40 when I saw
him appear 30' or so in front of me.  Nailed the brakes, but didn't dare try to
swerve with the trailer on board.  Hit him still doing well over 30 and
basically drove right through him (Me at around 10,000#, him at about 3500#).
I came to a stop about 40' after the point of impact.  Both of us walked away
without a scratch on us.  I'm still a bit sore and am going to the chiropractor
a couple of times a week.  I'm sure he got shaken quite a bit since he didn't
even have a seatbelt on.  Oh yeah - he wasn't insured :(

The damage to the van is pretty superficial, but it still adds up to between
$3500 and $4500 for repairs.

I'm also now having the fun of fighting with Geico (my insurer) over the value
of my van.  They offered me $3200, while I think the value is closer to $5,000.
 Comkps will prove my case, but it is hard to find them.  There aren't a lot of
these vans out there.

Dave