A Christmas fable

To: Teamdotnet <autox@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: A Christmas fable
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:59:40 -0500
>From Team.net of Christmas' Past (1996)
Matt Murray

   Date: 1996-12-18 13:12

----------

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a keyboard was clicking, not even a mouse;
The email program was shut down securely,
In hopes that no listers would get up that early.

The netters were nestled all snug in their bunks
(Except for the few who were partying drunks);
And Byron in his nightshirt, asleep in his bed,
visions of shifter karts went round in his head.

When out in the lot there arose such a racket,
That we leapt from our beds, pulling on pants and jackets.
Wondering aloud, "What is this greeting?",
Someone grumbled, "Some cruel driver's meeting!"

The sky was still dark, there's no-one in sight,
Only the pylons glowed in the pale light.
When, what, down the road, our eyes should behold,
But a weird yellow sleigh, and some guy who looked old.

But the glint in his eyes was so strange and deep,
That we knew it had to be Roger-of-sheep.
His sleigh grew much larger the closer he came.
In a familiar voice, he addressed us by name.

"I've brought you all gifts, just to show I'm sincere.
There's something delightful for everyone here."
He sat on the floor and dug into his pile,
And handed out gifts with a most charming smile:

"For Bob and Patty, what else would do?
Some flour tortillas, and a new Subaru.
For Greendot and BoB, not Corvettes but Vipers,
and for Jeff and Stacey, a supply of diapers.

"For Brian (P) another Neon, and Clearasil-Plus;
For Graydon, how about a C-Prepared bus.
For Chuck & Huck, new negative-weight parts,
And Byron's been good, so he gets his kart."

Then he sprang to his feet with that grin on his face
And, clapping his hands, disappeared into space.
But we heard him exclaim as he was all done,
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a clean run!"

Based on "A Visit from St. Nicholas" by Clement C. Moore
Adaptation Copyright 1990, Eric R. Rountree
Modified slightly by Leland E. Lim (apologies to all)

Modified again (really hacked up) for Team.Net by Jeff Loh (more
apologies, resemblence to actual netters entirely
tounge-in-cheek)
Have a merry Christmas! As I dive for the flameproof bunker :)