Miata advice please

To: "'Autocross List'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Miata advice please
From: "Keath Marx" <larrybulk@marx.ws>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:57:23 -0400
I have a friend who is looking to buy a miata.  She wants something in the
5-6k range.  She will probably end up doing some autocrossing but to this
point she has never raced.

She found a '94 w/ 62,000 miles on it local.  Carfax looks okay.  3 owners,
no crashes, recalls, etc...  Last reported mileage was 58k.

They are asking $5,900 for it.  It appears to be in good condition.  Very
clean.  Just a few scuffs here and there.  Good tread on the tires.  Rear
window isn't too yellowed or cracked.  Seems to run pretty strong.  I took
it on a test drive.  Tranny feels good (easy to shift, clutch feels firm and
smooth)

The only detractor that I saw was that it started vibrating pretty good at
~65.

Kelly Blue Book shows the suggested value as $5k.  I don't think the guy
will come down more than 300 or 400.

What at gotcha's to look for in this model?  Is the price just way out
there?

Thanks!