Re: [Solo II Safety Stewards list] Re: Statement from the Ft.

To: sss@lists.carlc.com
Subject: Re: [Solo II Safety Stewards list] Re: Statement from the Ft.
From: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:07:48 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

>   We have noted a small contradiction in the rulebook governing speeds
> in the past and have always been unsure of where the hard fast do not
> exceed line is. But I think it is intentionally grey.  Our "other" part
> of the rule book is 1.6 of the Introductory Section. where it
> has....."those encountered in normal, legal highway driving."     Now it
> does not reference speeds, but is 70 mph considered a hazardous
> situation if it is a clear dry day and the speed limit in your state is
> (or can be) 70 mph?   (Please be aware I do not have access to my latest
> rulebook right now, I am quoting my 2004 edition)

In the 2006, book, it's section 1.4, which says:

"A Solo Event is a non-speed driving skill contest such as, but not
limited to, autocrosses and slaloms. These events are run on short
courses that emphasize the drivers ability and the cars handling
and agility. Competition licenses are not required, and hazards to
spectators, participants and property do not exceed those
encountered in normal, legal highway driving. [...]"

Note in particular that it refers to "hazards" _NOT_ speeds.  I don't know
about you, but I've never once seen a turn on a 70mph limit freeway that
would be anything at all like what we see on an autox course.  Using this
section to justify speeds in excess of the limits in 2.1.A (both
limits...) doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Mark