Re: Matt's question on Street tires

To: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Matt's question on Street tires
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:11:04 -0500
--On Friday, February 24, 2006 8:49 PM -0500 Ben Thatcher
<bthatch@juno.com> wrote:
> I believe that ST has shown that allowing only street tires is viable
> in any category, not just in ST.

I can't believe I'm going to waste my time saying this, but...

Ben, please try to understand:  There are a great many people who
disagree with you on the point I quoted above.

Repeating for emphasis:

There are a great many people who disagree with you on the point I quoted
above.  No matter how many times you say it, these people are not likely
to start agreeing with you now.

I'm one of them.  I have believed for years that real high-performance
street tires in Stock would be better for the sport, but I surrendered
long ago to the fact that there just isn't a good way to write that rule.
It isn't possible in today's world.  If the new NHTSA regulations make it
possible, then great.  If not, there's nothing really awful about the
status quo, which is good, since we're pretty much stuck with it.

> Incidentally, several marque clubs have classes that only run on street
> tires and those classes have the largest fields. I've seen regions
> develop street tire classes that mirror regular classes and they are
> popular too.

Wonderful.  Those are great solutions for marque clubs and regional
programs.  There is nothing preventing those organizations from doing
this, and if that's the right thing for them to do, then great.  Just
don't go assuming that what's right for them is right for the SCCA
National Solo program.

Disclaimer for those who seem to think it matters: I last ran Stock in
1991.

Mark