Re: [Autox] Class Participation (Part 3)

To: Rocky Entriken <rocky@spitfire4.com>, autox@autox.team.net, Clemens
Subject: Re: [Autox] Class Participation (Part 3)
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 18:57:05 -0500
--On November 4, 2009 4:15:00 PM -0600 Rocky Entriken <rocky@spitfire4.com>
wrote:
>> My planned letter to the SEB -- and I had this plan before the BoD
>> action  in Club Racing -- is that we quit trying to define what
>> constitutes a  class and instead define what constitutes a champion.

I've been out of action for several years now and I don't know what has
transpired since then, but a concern I have about this is that every class
comes with a cost.

The engine that runs SCCA Solo involves quite a lot of volunteer time --
it's a very expensive commodity.  And every class has rules, particularly
the lower-participation classes in the higher modification categories,
because every class doesn't just share rules with other classes in the
category.  There are letters, discussions, clarifications, etc. and all of
this takes a lot of time.  Most of the members don't see the amount of time
that goes in, but trust me, it's a lot.

So there's real value in keeping the number of classes to a reasonable
minimum.

Rocky, if you take your proposal to the extreme, do classes ever go away?
Will there be dozens of classes someday, many of them empty or close to it?

The flip side of this argument is that quite a lot of time and effort is
spent figuring out what to do with the smaller classes, to bring their
numbers up or to resolve the "problem" in other ways.  They probably get a
disproportionate amount of effort, compared to their participation levels.
Just ignoring the problem may be cheaper than trying to address it.

Mark