Re: [Autox] Rule 4.9

To: "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Autox] Rule 4.9
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 22:19:59 -0600
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rocky Entriken
  To: Paul and Meredith Brown ; Autox
  Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:57 AM

  You ask how many would show up if they knew a class wasn't a "Championship"
class?
  1. As many as have shown up for Supplemental classes over the years -- most
times sufficiently enough to make it a championship class (and often in
greater numbers than existing championship classes sometimes for several years
(see F Mod) before the SEB finally relented and let their winners have a
jacket.
  2. Possibly more if they knew going in that all they needed to make it a
championship class was to show up in sufficient number -- but even if they
missed the number this year they would be secure in the knowledge that that
didn't mean they were threatened with extinction -- they could always try
again next year. Being a championship class thus is totally in the hands of
the competitors. It gives them a goal to strive for, not an execution to try
to ward off. It becomes a positive incentive, not a negative one.
  3. And such a situation is likely to develop what you call "cheerleaders"
who work to whip up the competition to get there. Yes, CP has Grayden Obenour,
GP now seems to be doing it with Bill Cutrer. SM had Dennis Grant in its
Supplemental years. Now Clemens is beginning to do it with BM. I like the
cheerleaders, but I like it better when they do it to achieve something
outrageous (CP wanted to set a one-class entry record, and eventually they
did) than be forced to just try to survive.

  I find it hard to say "if nobody shows up it's not much of a class" when
"nobody" is defined as SIXTEEN cars. My suggestion for defining a champion is
SEVEN cars. Why seven? Because that's a 3-trophy, full-podium class. And if
somehow that definition of champion ended up with a different magic number
than my proposed seven, I still would not care that much -- as long as a class
itself is not threatened.

  --Rocky