Re: [Autox] (autox) Towing Upgrades

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Autox] (autox) Towing Upgrades
From: George Ryan <george.ryan@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:12:41 -0800 (PST)
I hauled cars nationwide professionally from 1995 to 2006 pulling both tag
single car enclosed trailers from 18' to 32' (and one 48' gooseneck two car
enclosed trailer) and open car haulers from a 36' two car low-boy to
an 18' single open car hauler. The name of my company was Vehicle Valet, we
specialized in door-to-door direct hauling of exotic, antique, and other
cars for which the owner wanted the personalized care we offered and delivery
within hours from pickup (max 5 days from Miami to Seattle) - and were willing
to pay extra for that service. All have been pulled using either a 1998
Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins 5 spd  or a 2005 Dodge dually with a 6 speed (still have
them both!).

The 3/4 ton was upgraded with an airbag on the rear suspension, overload
springs, and 19.5" wheels/tires (rode rough as a cob but gave fantastic tire
life!). But the only engine/powertrain upgrades were a heavier duty clutch at
160,000 miles when the original wore out, and a towing chip. I DID install a
full set of guages - I mionitored the EGT guage closely - a K&N filter, a 4"
exhaust. and a FASS system ( as the ISB Dodges were famous for their lift pump
failures so the FASS was purchased after I had one).

However, the dually only has a towing chip. Period.

The oil was changed every 7500 miles (about every third week) - but no special
maintenance was ever needed. I never have had a hauling related breakdown in
over 540,000 miles between my two trucks. I have added no additional coolers
(of course, both mine are standard trans 2WD units), both trucks still have
the stock fans and radiators. I have never had either engine exceed normal
operating temps, even in the desert in the summer.

I have had multiple drivers lease to me during that period also. I have had
two other drivers that used one-ton Dodges (one was a single axle), one driver
that used his Chevy Duramax/Allison one-ton, and 4 Fords that leased to me (2
with the dreaded 6.0L and 2 with the old reliable 7.3 Powerstroke). The Chevy
required maintenance and repairs almost as much as the two 6.0L Fords did -
they were in the shop every couple months for one thing or the other. The
older 7.3 Powerstrokes and all the Dodges were totally reliable. (Not wanting
to start a flame war or brand loyalty discussion, but just sharing my
experiences).

I have listed the above qualifiers to show that I perhaps can speak with some
degree of authority and knowledge.

Now to the subject matter. For the casual hauler like those being addressed, I
DO agree that an aftermarket trans cooler should be used with an auto trans.
And i might add that I personally would NEVER haul heavy any distance with a
4WD unit (even as a casual hauler) - too hard on the diffy's.

Other than a larger or updated trans cooler, however, my experiences have
shown that there is not any need for any other upgrades to haul an enclosed
trailer with a 3/4 or one-ton diesel truck - even for a few hundred mile
tow occasionally.

Just my .02 - - take it or leave it.