Re: [Autox] Rule 4.9

To: Paul and Meredith Brown <l8apexrs@q.com>
Subject: Re: [Autox] Rule 4.9
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:20:25 -0500 (EST)
----- "Paul and Meredith Brown" <l8apexrs@q.com> wrote:
> Letters to the SEB are useful if they contain actual solutions, not
> just complaining.  Nor is sheer volume of any particular use other
> than to show that there is some level of interest in the issue ...
>
> In this case, it doesn't seem that simply reducing the required
> numbers is a real solution.  When the participation numbers
> continue to go down, then you'll be back in this situation later on
> asking for a further reduction in the requirement.

What he said.

> Rocky does present a solution, but it's very much imperfect; I've
> already responded as to why I don't think it's really a great
> approach.  It might be the best one that can be implemented, and may
> be a crutch for a bad situation, but I still think that improving
> participation in the low-turnout classes is still the right approach.
> And yes, some sort of "soft landing" for an ailing class may help to
> reduce the losses and help encourage people to make a commitment to a
> class that may be on the edge now.

Let me follow up on that by reiterating that in addition to offering
a possible solution, you also need to clearly state what problem you're
trying to solve, and why it's a problem for the health of the sport as
a whole, not just a problem for you.

I think it's a reasonable argument that the current implementation of
4.9 does present a real problem which Paul alludes to here -- it
discourages participation in classes which need participation (assuming
you agree with the concept of "need participation" -- Rocky's position
is that it's fine for some classes to have low participation).  Start
with that (or something similar) as a problem statement, and then work
your way to a solution for your stated problem.

Mark (former SEB member with Paul, on a break from the sport since 2004)