government vehicle stability standards

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: government vehicle stability standards
From: Bill Hamburgen 650-617-3329 FAX -3374 <billh@pa.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:41:23 -0800
Back in October, I wandered into - some would say started - a low-grade
flame war on vehicle stability.  Specifically, I argued that a simple
measurement of vehicle height and track would be a good way of estimating
if a car/van/SUV would be likely roll over during an autocross.

Last week NHTSA released their take on the problem.  See:
  Why Choose Static Stability Factor (SSF)?
        http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/Rollover/Chapt05.html
  Rollover Resistance Ratings Information
        http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hot/rollover/Index.html#chart

There is lots of really good info here, and much of it makes intuitive
sense without getting too deep into the math and physics.  The biggest
lessons I picked were:
 - Static Stability Factor (SSF), or the ratio of track and CG height,
   is a pretty darn good predictor of rollover likelihood.
 - A simple measure of vehicle height and track is probably not good
   enough to be of much use because of uncertainty of the CG height.
   Apparently there has been a lot of work done over the last few years
   on quick tests using accelerometers measure CG location.

/Bill