FWD: [frank@b16a.com: old BFG R1 tire pressure?]

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: FWD: [frank@b16a.com: old BFG R1 tire pressure?]
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:32:37 -0700 (MST)
For some reason, this was sent to me rather than ba-autox@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:59:19 -0800
     From: "Frank M. Lin" <frank@b16a.com>
     Subject: old BFG R1 tire pressure?

I just picked up a nice set of CSP spec tires for my 95 del Sol.
13x9 Keizer's with old (stamped 1994) 215/50ZR13 R1's.  How do I tell what
compound they are?  I recall they had couple of formulations.

Maybe the tires are too old, but I had major oversteer upont turn-in's
at ButtonWillow last Sat.  (we were running #13 CCW full track).  I
had the cold pressure set at 37 f, 35 r, maybe it's way too high as
the old BFG's had extra stiff side walls?  My car weights about
2350 with me in it.  I run 550 lbs f and 450 rear springs.  The car
handles great with just a hint of understeer when running on 195/55ZR15
Pirelli P-Zero's.  I was expecting a lot more grip with the R1's but
it was just the opposite.

Any thoughts?