Re: The Ring - Video clip

To: <Sethracer@aol.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Ring - Video clip
From: "Mike Lella" <lella@gotnet.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:56:23 -0700
As I recall, I think the driver that stopped and pulled Lauda out of the
car was Brent Lunger.
An American backmarker.

----------
> From: Sethracer@aol.com
> To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
> Subject: The Ring - Video clip
> Date: Thursday, June 07, 2001 9:38 AM
>
> I had the pleasure of watching the 1976 German Grand Prix live at the
track. That was the last GP run at the old Ring. The 13 plus miles made for
terrific racing, as the clip shows, but not the best spectating, you only
saw the cars 15-20 times. The biggest problem was the spread out track made
fire-rescue very tough. Niki Lauda crashed hard in that 1976 race, and it
took minutes for the fire crew to get him out of a gasoline fire. His looks
were forever changed from that incident. Another driver, I believe,
actually stopped and helped pull him out. I'm sure someone will remember
the other drivers name. It is actually a wonder that Lauda ever raced
again. That was the listed reason for discontinuing that track as the
German GP host. A newer, shorter, Nurburgring and Hockenheim, I believe
share the GP now. I still remember watching the six-wheel Tyrells! - Seth
Emerson