Re: Sun protection...

To: Dave Rowney <daver@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Sun protection...
From: Glenn Ellingson <geewiz@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:48:51 -0700
Dave,

VERY sorry to hear about your neck, and I hope you have a complete and
swift recovery!

Many on this list may know me as "the big hat guy" because I wear the
largest hats around. I have a skin condition called vitiligo which
means areas of my skin have lost all pigment -- they are totally
unprotected from the sun. So I wear big hats (and long pants and
sleeves) and usually try to work setup and run in the first run group
to get out of the sun. Then I have to put the top up for the ride home
because I've already had my exposure for the day -- that's the worst
part!

But even without a condition like vitiligo the california sun is a
serious danger -- I hope everyone takes precautions to avoid dangerous
skin cancers. Derek Lowe, a 28-year-old professional athlete (a Red Sox
pitcher), just had most of the skin removed from his nose because of
skin cancer.

Big hats and sunscreen -- it's worth it!

-- Glenn

PS: I wear Izeo hats (www.hatinabag.com) when it isn't windy and I just
got a great stiff-brimmed hat for windy days called a "floater" by
dorfman-pacific (http://www.prescotthats.com/men_canvas.htm). Wider
brims mean more protection!