Any shock-absorber gurus? What's the use of rebound damping?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Any shock-absorber gurus? What's the use of rebound damping?
From: Joseph Weinstein <joe@bea.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:46:47 -0700
Hi all. In the process of turning one of my shocks rebound damping knobs the
wrong way and breaking it off, squirting oil all over the trunk of my car,
I came
to ponder what the use of rebound damping was, anyway. I understand we
need to damp the harmonic motion that would have our tires bouncing
indefinitely
like S.F. taxis, but wouldn't one-way damping on the compression stroke do?
Is there ever a time we would want to delay the return of the tire to the
road after
a bump? Or is the tendency to bounce so high that we want some damping each
way, rather than having the compression damping be stiff enough?
Joe Weinstein (whose car is at S-car-go Racing to get a shock rebuild)