Air Bag information from SCCA

To: "Bay Area Autocross" <ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Air Bag information from SCCA
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:27:28 -0500

Message text written by "Bryan Nemy"

" contact with the chin area of a full-face

helmet can be so powerful "that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be

ruled out" (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 18.5.1999)."

While the above is only a recomendation at this time, I have to ask what
happens to anybody whose face is exposed to the air bag "safety" device
during a collision?

Does this study include what happens to a person wearing an "open-face"
helmet?

I'm having difficulty resolving how a "study" done in Formula 1 cars
relates to sedans.

--John Kelly