Chicago - Thinking "Out of the Box"

To: aceontour@yahoo.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Chicago - Thinking "Out of the Box"
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:35:26 EDT
In a message dated 5/25/2005 12:51:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
aceontour@yahoo.com writes:

Navid,  reign in that anger. Think about your children.
Don't let this be another  "Chicago Box".

-Katie

Katie - I actually liked a Chicago box one time! It was in Chicago (Ironic)
at a Corvair Club National convention. The Slalom was on a fairly tight Hotel
Parking lot. Whoever set up the course must have been a midget or had never
driven at an event. I drove a friends Prepared Class Corvair (108" wheelbase!)
 on wide Slicks. Each driver got three runs at the course. On my first run, I
 tiptoed into the midget-sized box - and tromped the last cone on the exit.
Plus  one second on my time. On my second run, I roared into the box, about
stopped,  and gingerly pulled out the other side - hitting the same cone.
ARRGH!
I  waited until I was the next to last car to make my third run. As I roared
past  the box at full speed, I just tromped the center cone from the box with
my rear  tire, sending it flying. Even with the one second penalty, I was
three seconds  quicker on the total timer. There was a bit of discussion from
the
officials,  but the time stood, since I never left the course (defined by the
cone I hit!) -  I still dislike the Chicago Box, though, and the bigger the
car, the more I  dislike the boxes! - Seth Emerson