Community vs. e-community, or just simple communication

To: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>,
Subject: Community vs. e-community, or just simple communication
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:41:55 -0500
One communications medium you overlooked is the regional publication: The
Wheel.
until about August 1994 the regional publication included an up to date
schedule and reports on events, etc. Then a group on the Region's Board
decided they could do better.
        So they, officially led by then Regional Executive Gary Meeker,
along with a UNANIMOUS vote of the Region's six-member Board, fired the
editor. Mr. Meeker made it clear he wanted the then-editor to use his
position to place ALL of Solo's money into the SFR treasury. (History: the
separate bank account was created circa 1974-5 when yours truly was on the
SFR BoD.)
        The then-editor, yours truly, told Mr. Meeker that wouldn't be
possible. So the then-editor, me, was fired. Basically that ended Solo
information in the regional publication.
        There have been sporadic attempts by various good hearted souls to
bring Solo into The Wheel. As The Wheel's various editors over the years
had no emotional push on the subject, Solo disappeared from the Regional
publication.

        Obviously we in the SFR Solo world NEED either electronic
communication, a semi-regular newsletter (the results sort of answers the
question) or something else.
        I have suggested creating another SCCA Region to serve Solo in our
neighborhood but that usally draws the response that most WANT to belong to
SFR. The SCCA insurance program is better than any of the others, at least
so far.
        Several National BoD chairs have offered encouragement but without
a local push on the subject I have remained just another member.

--John Kelly